Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Yes Sir! ... They Get It

So for the past several years, I've been a fan of this band, Mae. I love their stuff... incredible music, great melodies, great songwriting. The last record of theirs I bought was nearly two years ago, "Singularity". Loved this record!!! You should check them out ... thank me later.

So anyway, the other night I was driving down the road late, I picked up my iPod and tried to find something to listen to. Sometimes, searching the music library gives me that "57 channels and nothings on" kind of feeling. I reached the "M's" and saw, Mae. Pulled up the first track on the "Singularity" album and let it play, I was quickly reminded why I enjoyed this band so much.

Yesterday morning, I pulled up ye ole iTunes music store to see what they had new. I ran across two separate ep's they released, one entitled "{m}orning" and the other "{a}fternoon". I purchased {m}orning for $6.99 on iTunes ... it's not bad. This morning, as I sipped my morning energy juice, I decided to go to their website (www.whatismae.com) and see what was happening in their world. That's when I saw it ... and just about spilled my coffee all over myself.

I'll quickly explain what they are doing and I will also post a link to their mission statement on the website. Starting in January '09, without the aid of a record label, the band released one track at the beginning of each month for download. For a $1 donation you could have the track. What really excited me was that all the profits from these albums would go directly into humanitarian groups.

I knew it!!! I knew I wasn't crazy!!! If Mae can do it ... why can't I. Since January 1, 2009, Mae has raised nearly $65,000.00. This excites me greatly ... I love the idea that capitalism is being used to help the helpless instead of feeding our own (in many cases, not all) greed.

Although the project I am working on will not be a high budget, big sound, production ... I am encouraged greatly by what I've seen today.

Here is the link to the full story ... please take a minute to read:

www.whatismae.com/index.php/introduction

~~update~~

I'll be in the studio again tonight, feverishly trying to finish tracking. I hoping to have everything finished and mixed by the 18th of this month. As soon as everything is mixed it will be ready for download, available at www.jimodomonline.com. If you would like to wait on the cd, I hope to have it back by the first or second week of May.

God Bless.... Jim

No comments:

Post a Comment