Monday, April 5, 2010

June creeps up on me...

Hello my friends!! Hope everything is going well for everybody. It's been a while since my last post (apologies), it's been crazy lately. I feel like I've been going all over the place. It's all good!

Just wanted to give you guys some updates on the 'goings on' in my world. India gets closer by the day now and I feel as if the trip is going to sneak up on me. So needless to say, I'm feeling the crunch with fund-raising and such. The good news, I have all my Visa stuff taken care of, woohoo! So now all I need is money!

The cd is coming along, very slowly, but I think it will turn out ok. Half way through the recording, I've decided to scale the whole project back considerably. Instead of using the tracks we've done with the full band, I "think" I am just going to do 4 of 5 live cuts with just me and the acoustic (might not even record to a click track.. so it will have a very 'live' feel). Not only will this get things finished much quicker, but it will allow me to go back later this summer and really take my time and do the tracks right, then take them to either Memphis or Nashville to mix them.

This whole project has really opened my eyes and taught me some stuff about myself. I won't bore you with all the details, but one thing I've learned is that when it comes to my songwriting, there is a fine line between 'brilliance' and 'total crap'... hehe, that's actually painfully true! I've also had MAJOR revelations about songwriting in general, finding how to thrive in my giftings and not force anything.

I'm becoming more and more convinced that one reason we have a lot of Christian music that isn't creative... and to be honest... sounds pretty lame, is the fact that we as artist (who are Christians) feel this need to force songs. Force?? Follow me here, for a long time when I would sit down to write, I felt this pressure to write a song that was blatantly about Jesus and/or a worship song. For several years now I can't tell you the number of times I've sat down with my guitar and after an hour just put the stupid thing down because I was sooo frustrated that I couldn't get anything out. Then, a couple of months ago, it hit me ... I felt God, only for a moment, but that moment was all it took to change me. God spoke to me, this is all he said, "Jim, I gifted you with music, I want you to be you". I quickly responded... thank you, heck yes, I can handle that. Since that moment, songs are flowing out of me.

Mostly, these songs deal with everything from faith to relationships. I've even began to wonder if this will be a "Christian" album (whatever that means). The fact is, I'm a believer, Jesus is everything to me... to the point of obsession. So, that aspect of my life can't help but come out in my music. Having said that, my true heart's desire is to write music that encourages people, both believer and non-believer.

A non-believer might not understand words as, "faith comes alive in the asking", but they will understand, "take your time walking out that door". And who knows, some random person might hear one of these songs and check out my blog or come by this store to say hello, or meet me playing in a coffee shop or club somewhere .... and no doubt they will hear about Jesus. And what if... what if, that random person comes to Jesus. Man, it will all be worth it. I figure if God can use a donkey to speak, he can use a song about a 'break-up'. And if it offends you that I'm not writing a worship album and/or a "just as i am" record.... sorry ... you'll make it just fine. Pleasing folks like you doesn't interest me any longer... living in the gifting God has given me and seeking out the lost with love is what interests me. I think about it all day/everyday. And, if any of that sounds harsh .... I apologize (sort of, hehe).

So anyway, that's the skinny on Jim right now. Please shoot me a message on facebook or an email if you have any questions.

Also, if you would like to help support me with my trip to India or the cd, that would be amazing. Words can't describe how awesome that is and how much it helps.

Thanks.... God Bless...

Jim

trpt8@aol.com

www.facebook.com/jimodom78 ... twitter: @JimOdium

address: 1703 Sandra Lee Dr. Jasper, AL 35504

No comments:

Post a Comment