Thursday, May 27, 2010

So, I told myself (when I started 'blogging'), that I would never blog when angry, and for the first time in nearly a year, I've been tested. The other day I heard something that angered me greatly. I've thought about it for nearly a week now, calmed down, and now feel the release to write about this.

For anyone that knows my dad, knows that he could quite possibly be one of the most passionate people walking the earth. Whether in regard to his family or motorcycles, he is 'all out', he's either in 5th gear or neutral and there isn't a lot of middle ground. But when it comes to Jesus, nothing compares to his passion, I've seen him give up his life in order to gain life. A few things probably come to mind when you think of Steve ... Jesus, motorcycles, tattoos. Ordained in the "Church of God", he now primarily does ministry from the rumble of a Harley Davidson. And let me tell you, I've never seen him so effective in ministry as I have the past few years. People come in this store that would never step foot in here, they feel loved, they search for love, but ultimately they are searching for Jesus... and many have found Him right here.

But, as I said, something I heard last week really hacked me off. Here's the short of it: a man that dad goes to church came in and they began to talk. He told a story of an encounter he had with a lady from a local church. In this conversation she asked him, "have you seen Steve Odom lately?", to which he responded, "yes, we go to church together". She then began to question dad's 'looks', i.e. tattoos, beard (and we aren't talking about normal, just curious questions ... but the judgmental kind). The man said, "Steve has given up his body in order to reach people that you or I will never reach".... to which she responded with the standard pharisee attitude, "I don't believe that one bit". I kknnooowwwwww, hacked me off as well.

Then this scripture hit me right in the face.
All men will hate you because of me, but he who stands firm to the end will be saved. Matthew 10:22


So when I read this text, two things come to mind.... 1. the world will hate us when we promote Jesus, 2. the 'established church' will hate us when we promote the true Jesus. Follow me here for a second, I don't have to explain the whole 'world hates us thing', but, the 'church' hating us????

When I read the gospels, I see a constant theme: the established church (pharisees/sadducees) absolutely hated Jesus, He threatened everything they stood for, everything they thought was important, everything they thought was holy. He spent time with sinners, loved them, embraced them. They hated him for it... who is this man that he would spend time with these notorious sinners and even eat with them (Luke 15: 1-2). All of this leads me to the conclusion that when we truly mirror who Christ was, and when we truly go to the places he went, loved the people He loved, embraced the people he embraced, it will threaten everything with the established church -- the pharisees and sadducees in our midst -- We will threaten everything they stand for, everything they think is important, everything they think is holy (i.e the church building, the life center, the hymnal, the KJV, the fact that 'we still have church on Sunday night').

To further illustrate the type of 'church' person I'm referring to, here is another story. I was listening to sports talk radio one morning around the time that Anna Nicole Smith died. One of their normal callers (a 'pastor' from Tuscaloosa) called in and made this statement, "I would never let a woman like her in my church" ... key word, MY, church ... this is the kind of people I'm talking about.

If we are going to truly be like Jesus, we better get used to a few things:


1. we may be called drunkards when we spend time with alcoholics


2. we will be scoffed at when we embrace the homosexual who is battling aids


3. and your spiritual stature WILL be called into question if you do anything outside the lines of modern day, institutionalized church


I've included a video of a song that has really spoken to me today ... one line stands out to me more than anything.


"I'll even welcome the arrogant man"


It's easy for me to reach out and love the lost... the hopeless... the helpless. But it's hard for me to reach out to the arrogant pharisee, and that is something that God doesn't give me an option of. God is Love ... therefore I must love.


I hope this has been of some help today... it's just a few thoughts I've been wrestling with.





1 comment:

  1. One thing that I must point out... the scripture your reference doesn't mention church at all. So when the "church" hates the committed, like your father, then you know that they aren't the church. I totally understand what you are saying and I'm not taking any exception to it in the least. I just thought it note worthy that these "haters" are considered part of the world from Christ's perspective and not part of the church. Although, like the pharisees, believe THEY are the epitome of what is church. I think this bares a lot of weight when the scriptures say that many will come in His name, and that when Christ doesn't recognize them they will argue with Him, "Did we not do all these things in Your Name?" And He'll say depart from me. This is the saddest text of all b/c they "thought" they were in the church, but in reality they were of the world. God help that woman! Thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete