Monday, July 13, 2009

Scattered reflections of Fire and Rain

This is something i found .... wrote this a little over a year ago ... brought back a great memory

"Just yesterday morning they let me know you were gone
Susanne the plans they made put an end to you
I walked out this morning and I wrote down this song
I just can't remember who to send it to"

Most of you already know that those are the lyrics to the first verse of one of the best songs ever written, James Taylor's, Fire and Rain. Last weekend I sat on the front deck of Steve's house; Steve, Jessica, Nick and I sat there looking at the stars, playing guitar and singing old songs that we love. Everything from Hank Williams Jr., to Poison, Nick even busted out some old hymns ... it was one of the most enjoyable moments I've had in months, maybe years. As I sat there, I began to reflect on the events in all of our lives that brought us to the very point. That single instance with all of us simply hanging out, enjoying the relationships we've built and continue to build.

There are those of us who have experienced terrible things in life ... Some of us have been lucky and most of our experiences are filled with happiness and joy. The point is we all experience .... regardless ... it forms and tells our story. So my story up until has been defined by the choices and events that have shaped my life.

Which brings me back to the James Taylor song... It's somewhat of a song that morns a friend, refers to his battle with drug addiction, and the fear of fame and fortune. Real events and struggles that had shaped him as a songwriter and ultimately formed one of those songs that singer/songwriters hold in the highest regard.

Sunday, a young man i knew was killed in a plane crash with his family and girlfriend. We had a few classes together in college, we would talk accounting and video games, he is still on my Xbox Live friends list, which seems somehow ironic. We truly do not know what tomorrow holds for us, whether beautiful or tragic. The one thing we can do today is love deeply, respect intensely, and admire the diverse beauty that forms us all.

I'll never forget sitting on that deck with my friends .... trying to remember the chords to Fire and Rain .... watching steve ban all cell phones from the festivities. I think I understand what James wanted us to see in his work .... embrace experience when it takes a friend, embrace experience when we are in personal battles, embrace the fear of an uncertain future.

Experience .... would I change the events that have led me here to this day .... I don't think so.

I'm curious as to where I'll end up ....

1 comment:

  1. Embracing the experience, positive or negative, is something I struggle with. Months ago our pastor said something to the effect of hardship is a blessing. I really struggled with that, and was even angry with him for saying it, and angry with God for the hardship blessings He threw my way all throughout life. Stepping out of my frustration, I see that we must embrace all that life throws, because it shapes who we are and molds our hearts to help others.

    ReplyDelete