Monday, July 27, 2009

Perspective Shifts...

In 2001 (I think it was), I began a journey; a scary and adventurous spiritual journey. Questioned everything I had ever been taught and everything I thought I had figured out. I was 23 years old and completely confused, felt pressured and manipulated (at times) to go in certain directions in ministry, at every turn afraid that I was going to make the wrong decision and my life and ministry would be ruined. So one day, at work and at my wits end, I opened up the Word and saw this scripture...

John 6 (NIV)
28Then they asked him, "What must we do to do the works God requires?"
29Jesus answered, "The work of God is this: to believe in the one he has sent."

At that moment, things cleared up... the weight was lifted from my shoulders... I didn't have to please people any longer. I finally realized that trying to please imperfect people over a perfect God would only lead to hurt and failure. So, that's where it started, I was ready for a perspective shift. Ready indeed!!

Not to long after that I had the opportunity to leave the church (and denomination) I was serving in and move into service at a church in the Birmingham area. I had zero doubt that it was time to move on, but you would have thought I committed some grievous sin. A few folks looked at me with such a look of pity, as if the wondrous work of salvation that had taken place in my life was somehow diminished now... it was like I had been knocked out of some sort of spiritual hierarchy. Even 6 or 7 years later I still get this look of pity... I won't even start on the look when they see the tattoos, hehe!!

So now let me get to the "perspectives" part .....

When I stepped out of the mind-set and thought processes that I had always held onto so tightly that my knuckles were white, ready to fight anyone who brought something a little different to the table. Stepping outside of that I began to see Almighty God in such a more life giving way. It was truly astounding how spending time with other believers from different perspectives began to shape me and strengthen me. Now I look for opportunities to have conversations and build relationships with people from completely different viewpoints on God and spirituality; even those I might completely disagree with on certain subjects.... who knows I might actually learn something in the process.

People are scared, me thinks, of different perspectives. If not, just watch a pentecostal boy (whatever that means)as myself tell people that he helped plant a non-pentecostal church that held services in a bar in downtown Birmingham, and see how the begin to squirm in their shoes and trip all over themselves trying to say something encouraging. People are indeed fearful of different perspectives, I was the c.e.o. of this group for many years of my life. They, just as I was, are afraid because when we look at things from different perspectives, there is a very clear and present danger that we might see fault in our own lives... in our own perspectve. We might see flaws in the very core of our belief system, cracks in the foundation. Cracks that must be mended and fixed, and nobody has to fix anything if they never find a the crack .... much easier that way.... right?

Just my thoughts....

4 comments:

  1. "nobody has to fix anything if they never find the crack"

    So much easier that way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't remember if I've already commented before, but I'm enjoying the blog. Thanks for starting it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is amazing how sheltered we become in our huddles without realizing it in the least. It is equally amazing how we go to such great lengths to continue to build these huddles to protect our viewpoints and never allow ourselves to be challenged. I have lived in both huddles...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jim:
    I havent commented until now, but it's interesting what you say. I think you'll find yourself (at least I hope) in the company of many people who've been where you are/were. Right about the time you mention (well, maybe mine was 2003-ish) we (my husband and I) began to go through a huge time of questioning everything....and it led me to a different perspecitve on church, faith, community, etc. When I spoke with others about this, I was barely considered saved (just barely). However, in my defensiveness (is that a word?) I became equally dogmatic from that different view. I didn't even realize it until some years down the road. Now, as I approach my mid thirties, many of these core thoughts (beliefs) haven't changed, but the need to defend myself has lessened and I have learned to look for good in all kinds of perspectives (most of the time!). So, I say all of this to say, thank you...dont stop talking about this...the body must dialogue and stop being stupid towards each other or we'll never be who we're called to be. Ok, end of rant. :-)

    ReplyDelete